22 September, 2007

No.18: Nocturnal Encounter

Three days back, I went out and left one of my windows wide open (with the movable net that prevent insects from entering). In my absence, a baby bat entered my apartment. When I came back in the evening, I put on the light and was most surprised to find a bat flying around in my study room. I continued to keep the window open hoping that the bat would eventually find its way out. After a while, I stopped hearing its wings beating and had no idea where it was. I searched for it but couldn’t find it.

Since I didn’t see it again the following day and the next, I had totally forgotten about it. Today, as I was cleaning my apartment, I was very surprised to find it hanging in my bathroom window net! I reckoned it must be totally exhausted and dehydrated. It was still breathing and as an animal lover; it was my full intention to nurture it back to health. But the problem is that I have no idea whatsoever about bats! I have had dogs, cats and a monkey as pets before, but bats!It was most unusual and challenging.

I quickly googled on bats diet and how to feed it. I found that majority of the bats eat insects and fruits and that we can feed a very young bat with cow or goat milk. First, I went in search of small insects...the equivalent of a mosquito in size around my apartment. I doubted though if I'd find one during the daytime but I searched for it anyway....and as expected....no such luck!


I attempted the second alternative....milk. Since I have no paintbrush, I used a swab of cotton to feed the baby bat. At first, it licked the milk off the cotton and I was most relieved. It then started to suckle and I could see its weary eyes brightening gradually. I repeated the feeding after every hour as suggested in the website and I was amazed at how fast it regained its strength. It flew around once more and I have a feeling it was frightened. Once I caught hold of it again, I was convinced that it felt much better and can find its way back (hopefully)home. I freed it from my window (but not before I took these pictures *_*) and watched it disappear into the darkness of the night.

14 comments:

  1. hehhehe..Bak daktawr nihna ChinaMizo ten kan ka pe ang che ..:D.Mizo chuan bak sa hi,naupang zuncheh rei tan a tha an tih thin tak kha maw.

    Einch....A kutah an keng vel ah,,,intihlau lo vel chiang lommmm...:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seki, ti lomom hle mai...eng daktor mah ka nih hmel silova, bak daktor tal han nih chuh...ava hlu tehreng em :)

    Soi mai roh...bak sa rei tak ei pawl ilo ni mial lo mo? I rap anih kha, ka hrereng...pa lo jeih juih reuh hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. jinxte,ka hmu ve chak reuh ltk,bak note hi mo an cute top ka ti.an hmai hi abial chem bok sia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohooo,Faerie te, kalo chhuah hman a ooo.I hmuchak tih lo hria ila, hmuh tur chein Harbin ah kalo kal vang vang tur aniah...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. milk kha, a mitin a hmu nge, a rim a hria nge tih ka ngaihtuah a, bak hian an beng an hmang ber an ti sia, a beng khan engtin nge bawnghnute kha a h riat ang le?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Va inla vampire hlau lo ve a :-) Bak hi kan naupan laiin sairawkherh nen kan veh thin! Kan film enah khan vampire te an lo nia, kan trit phah deuh mahse hluah tur a ni tih kha kan theihnghilh leh a kan perh leh pawp zel. Ka zun cheh tawp dawn pawh khan min eitir ve tak kha mawle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rk,ka hrelo le.Website a ka chhiar angin a hmui ah milk kha ka chuktuah a, a liak ve lep2 mai.

    @Sawmpuia: I tiduh, bak khan min hlau zok alom...ka seh ang tih kha a hlau ve thovin ka hria...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like bat with the 'man' :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @rka: Are you sure you like the bat with the 'man' and not the 'man' with the bat? Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Van hlau lo reuh,thiani chu..rin ai hian ,,hehheh.
    Btw,previous posta i pic hi lian deuh law law dah la,tute emaw chil ti puutt ah..
    Bamboo pole riding,balancing, vaulting,etc etc :)) hi keep fit nan that dawn hi..

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Chinatreasures: Thiani, ka hlaulo der vel anih kha...hehehe.

    Pic chu a lian ka dah chuan insum theilo tawk an tam ang tih ka hlau alom...lang chhelo ropui sia mauh ;)

    Eee taka, lo zir ve chr2 roh.Chinamizo ho kanla intihsiak don nia *-*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jinx, i va huai ve a. Batgirl ka ti top che..he he

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Maruat: "Bad" girl min ti lova ka lom e...lolz

    @Claytonia Vices: Thnx for dropping by...:)

    ReplyDelete