28 November, 2007

No.26: Melbourne - Healesville Sanctuary

Healesville Sanctuary
21st January 2006
During my stay in Melbourne, C&J drove me to the Healesville Sanctuary 65 kilometers or one hours drive from Melbourne. It is located in the Yarra Valley region. Healesville Sanctuary covers 31 hectares of bushland enclosure but is small enough that we can see most of the animals in a days visit. It was great walking through the bushland surrounds and to see the unique wildlife animals of Australia. There were kangaroos, wallabies, echidnas, dingos, emus, Koalas, platypus, wombats, monkeys, birds of prey etc. There's this huge butterfly house. Once I entered, I felt as though I'm in a fairyland. Hundreds of different butterfly species fluttered around us and some of them actually landed on our clothes. We have to be careful not to step on them. It was fascinating. Healesville Sanctuary is one of the best wildlife sanctuaries in Australia with a wide range of Australian animals to see.

The most interesting animals for me are the meerkats. I've seen documentaries on discovery channel some years back. Even then, I was fascinated with them. I spent a great deal of time watching the meerkats. They are cheeky and very lively. I find them soooo adorable especially when they stand on their two tiny feet.

Wombats are nocturnal animals. Wombats, like the kangaroo, has a pouch in which it carries it's baby. But it opens backwards to prevent the sand from entering their pouch while digging burrows. The droppings of the wombats are called 'scats' and each wombat's 'scats' have different smell to help them find their burrow in the night :)


Aren't they adorable? They look so cuddly..






The Emperor Tamarin monkey is so cute. I wish I can cuddle him and twirl his moustache in my fingers...hehehee!

The first time I saw the dingos, I was puzzled as to why they kept dogs in the sanctuary. I thought that there's nothing special in keeping dogs there! But soon C&J explained to me that they are dingos and not normal dogs. Apparently, a dingo generally do not bark like a dog and is quite fierce. Oooopsy! I was quite misled by its appearance. Reminds me to be careful so as not to be torn into shreds when crossing the path of a dingo in the wild thinking it to be a dog. Appearance really is deceiving in this particular case ;)

The different tools of the Aborigines in Australia were also displayed.


On our way back, C drove us through the countryside. The blue sky, the huge span of open space with the mountain in the horizon makes it very picturesque. The beauty and serenity of the countryside triggers in me a nostalgic feeling. I'm so glad they drove me throught that route. It was breathtaking!

3 comments:

  1. No wonder you smelt like scat when we met that day. Were you able to find your way back home after we parted? *grin*

    I so remember learning about the dingos, wallabies and wombats of Australia during my school days. Dingos are scavengers I think, like hyenas, but sometimes play the role of predators. I also vaguely recollect reading at some Mizo's blog a loooong time about about her experience eating dingo meat and I asked her how that is different from eating "ui sa" and she flipped :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had enough of Australian wildlife :P but the beauty of the place is something I'm never going to tire of! I got a funny wombat story, I'm grinning as I sit here just thinking of it, i'll tell you one day if we ever meet face to face ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scat Kima!...next time we meet, I'll 'scat' all over you :P

    Hmmm...u just gave me an idea! I'll ask my Aussie friends here whether they eat dingo meat....which,I believe, would be equivalent to the much hyped about *disgusting* dog meat eaten in many parts of Asia.

    @Jerusha: Looking forward to hear about ur 'wombat' story....:)
    So...wot about posting ur curvaceous bikini clad pic in ur blog? hehee
    I'm like *grrrrrr*...every time I attempt to leave a comment in ur blog...all I get is "We're sorry, but we were unable to complete your request" :(

    ReplyDelete